Sunday 26 August 2012

Tropical Blue and Purple Eyes

Hello!

I'm back with an eye look incorporating a bright blue . I have to admit, I've been working on overcoming my aversion to blue eyeshadow. I've never been one for playing around with the stuff, mainly for fear I'll end up looking like some 70s/80s disaster a la:

Picture from: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5130/52546079
36_c2f8211732_b.jpg
 
Picture from: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2022/1831
484697_d0e6f36d24_o.jpg 

(Side Note: Notice how makeup companies have been selling the same stuff as "new" for over 30 years? In these ads you have long wearing liquid-to-powder eyeshadow and "creamy" powder shadows, all products we're still seeing today...unfortunately, you also have lashline to eyebrow washes of blue eyeshadow being marketed as "everyday" looks, something that's also come back into fashion recently.)

My aversion to blue eyeshadow is one of the reasons I'm having such difficulty coming up with an eye look for Ravenclaw in my Harry Potter series. But, I digress.

What did I do?


I took baby steps with blue eyeshadow, combining it with purple for a tropical eye look.





How-To:

  • Use UDPP in Greed over the whole eye area, up to the eyebrow. 
  • Eyeshadows from the Coastal Scents 88 Ultra Shimmer Palette (click here for my review):
    • Very light blue eyeshadow (Row 1, Column 6) on the inner 1/4 of the mobile lid and on the inner 1/3 of the lower lash line;
    • Blue eyeshadow (Row 5, Column 6) on the middle half of the lid;
    • Purple eyeshadow (Row 8, Column 8) on the outer half of the lid and up into the crease, but not all the way down to the inner corners of the eye- stop just where the crease begins to sharply curve down;
      • Obviously, you've noticed these halves and 1quarters of the mobile lid overlap. This is where we blend, so the colours transition into each other smoothly.
    • Purple eyeshadow (Row 8, Column 8) on the outer 2/3 of the lower lash line;
    • Black eyeshadow (Row 8, Column 11) at the outer edges of the eye, in a sideways "V" which brings the eyeshadow just that little bit further than the edge of the eye, following the invisible line from the outer corner of the eye and the end of the eyebrow. Blend that down to the purple eyeshadow lining the lower lash line, so it's all continuous.
  • Using Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On eyepencil in Zero, line the waterline and upper lash line.
  • Highlight under the eyebrow and in the innermost part of the eyes using Devilish Danielle eyeshadow from the Shady Lady Volume 2 Palette from thebalm.
  • Finish it off with mascara. I used Benefit Bad Gal Lash Mascara over Revlon Grow Luscious mascara (all in black).

I hope you like it!

xo
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment- I would love to hear from you!