Tuesday 28 August 2012

Review: theBalm Lipstick

Hello!

In a break from all the eye looks, I've decided to review theBalm's Mia Moore Lipstick!
As you might have guessed by now (Bright Eyed Beauty Blog, anyone?), I'm not a lipstick girl. I prefer a statement eye and a neutral lip. Why? The answer is twofold. Firstly, my eyes are my most prominent feature. Why not play them up? Secondly, lipstick is a pain! If it's long-wearing, it's drying and will probably start to flake off by the end of the day (6-8hours in). If it's not, then you have to reapply every chance you get, otherwise you'll end up with just a harsh line of bright lipstick outlining your lips. Not attractive. Doing a statement eye is just so much easier. Once you've done your eye look, that's it. If your neutral lip colour (gloss/balm/stain/whatever) wears off, it doesn't matter- your eyes are still perfectly made up and your look is still in place.

But then I see celebrity red carpet pictures of the perfect red lip and I start to think that maybe I could try a red lip and neutral eye combo. 

Up until now, most reds I've tried have had the unwanted effect of yellowing my teeth. Then, after some time with Google, I learnt that if my non-yellow teeth look yellow with a red lipstick, it's probably an orange-based red. What I need is a blue-based red, which won't yellow teeth. There's some talk about true reds in there, too. It got a bit confusing.

Anyhow, enter Mia Moore, from theBalm. 




Review:
  • Colour: Bright red. This will definitely get you noticed. And wonderfully, it does not make my teeth look yellow!
  • Finish: Matte
  • Pigmentation: Highly pigmented! Tap it on your lips for a stain, swipe it on for rich colour.
  • Texture: Smooth and non-drying, surprisingly. Other matte lipsticks I've tried have been very drying and difficult to apply. Not this one. 
  • Longevity: Fairly good. It lasts 3-4hours without eating or drinking. After that, accept a faded red stain or reapply.
  • Price: AUD$19.95 for 4g of product. Considering this product is comparable to MAC's Russian Red (Russian Red is darker, mind you) which is AUD$36 for 3g of product, I think it's a winner.
Verdict: A

What do you think?

xo
Anna




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment- I would love to hear from you!