First off- sorry! I know I've been gone a while, but I needed to focus on my studies. I'm back now with a review of the absolute classic matte red lipstick- M.A.C's Russian Red.
|M.A.C Russian Red Lipstick tube|
|Swatch of M.A.C Russian Red Lipstick- heavier application, natural light + flash|
|Swatch of M.A.C Russian Red Lipstick- lighter application, indoor lighting + flash|
- Colour: this is a bright, look-at-me blue-based red. It's a little on the dark side (darker than theBalm's Mia Moore) making it a more grown-up, sophisticated red.
- Finish: matte finish.
- Pigmentation: the pigmentation is good on this lipstick in that one swipe will get you fully pigmented, goregous colour. It's not as pigmented as Mia Moore in that you can't just touch the lipstick tube to the lips to get full pigmentation.
- Application: easy to apply, from the bullet or with a lipbrush.
- Texture: this is not a moisturising lipstick, which for me isn't a problem, but for those with dry lips, it could be an issue. It's not that it's drying straight away, it's just drier than other formulas and after it wears off a bit, does leave lips a little stripped of mositure.
- Longevity: good- 3-4 hours with drinking, not eating and it leaves behind a goregeous stain that won't rub off.
- Cost: AUD$36 for 3g of product. This is the kicker- it's expensive! It is a classic, high quality lipstick, no doubt. But you can get a very similar product (colour-wise) with the same quality for much less (theBalm's Mia Moore and Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Moss in No.10, I'm looking at you).
Great colour, good quality but the formula is a tad drying and the price is high.